As we dive into the Vegvisir Playbook this week, there’s something new that we have added that all of our coaches live by but we just haven’t quite written down until now and I thought I would share it with y’all!
It’s the Athlete Bill of Rights and it going something like this:
You are at the center of what we do. Your experience at Vegvisir is very important. To keep things simple for you, we ask that you agree to these basic terms and conditions of service:
The Vegvisir Athlete Bill of Rights:
At Vegvisir, we ask that you:
- Arrive on time for your appointments (it’s your time we’re talking about, after all).
- Not cancel or change appointment times, if you must, 24 hours before the appointment notice is required.
- Pay for packages and sessions in advance.
- Tell your coach immediately if you’re feeling dizzy, lightheaded or nauseated. We can help!
- Put your things away—neatly and in clean condition—immediately after use.
- Be nice to everyone in the gym and make it a rewarding, safe and respectful environment for all members of our community.
- Make your coach aware of aches, pains or other issues at the start of your session.
In return, we promise to:
- Always be on time for our appointment with you.
- Be prepared with a training plan for the session.
- Alter workouts as required.
- Won’t become distracted with anything outside of your session (dogs, phones, etc…)
- Write exercise plans to fit your long-term progression.
- Behave in a professional manner.
- Offer a safe and respectful environment for all members of our community.
- Hold clients, team members and vendors accountable when they aren’t living up to our values. We won’t be afraid to correct individuals in our space if they make rude comments or make inappropriate jokes about someone’s body, gender presentation, race or anything else.
- Explain why any given exercise is relevant to you.
- Correctly invoice and give receipts, or make corrections immediately.
- Return your phone call or email at the first available opportunity.
- Provide them with a safe, clean space to train.
- Treat every athlete the same with regard to pricing, scheduling, and answering questions.
- Stay on top of relevant research that will help you achieve your goals.
- Provide “homework” on the same day as your session or In-Body Check-In
- Be as flexible as possible in accommodating your schedule.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Hold your lost items for 30 days before donating them to an appropriate charity.
Why Write It Down?
Most of these things seem second nature.
Of course your coach should be on time, be responsive, and attentive. Of course, ya gotta let your coach know if you’re feeling dizzy and we all gotta be nice to people.
Writing things down makes it so that things are concrete. There’s a record that it was discussed and planned. That it is something to refer to when times are tough.
Applying The Drills This Week!
This week we have asked you to take a look at your values and your rules of engagement and right them down. In the past we have asked you to write down your Perfect Day and Goals!
We want ya now to go and look at all of them. This is you and your fall back when times get tough! What you’re going to prioritize and execute each week when things get tough.
Life is stressful and is always throwing new stressors at us. Some weeks we plan on crushing it at work and having a work free weekend and the boss hits you with way more than you thought. Other times you’re gonna have an injury or an unexpected relative coming to town!
These things that you write down are your priorities and rules for life. If you are ever unsure of how to handle a situation that pops up and stress you out, go read these and recenter yourself. We all need that from time to time.
Keep your goals on your fridge, you values on your nightstand, your perfect day on your desk at work, and rules of engagement as a reminder on your phone. Remind yourself who you are and what you’re working for and it can help reduce stress knowing you’ve got a path and a code to live by.
The whole point of this is to make tough decisions easy when you feel lost. Writing things down while you have clarity is one of the best gifts you can give to your future self!